Thursday, April 4, 2013

FOP Experience


The semester has passed by REALLY fast...

In fact, we have just completed FOP, which consists of a written report and an oral presentation.

I was fortunate in being able to work on an issue that I was quite familiar with - implementing Facebook in class. It is something that I have already been exposed to in class. Furthermore, Facebook is also widely discussed in Singapore.

Even so, familiarity with the topic did pose its challenges. For one, creativity was stifled because there was a 'right answer' (ie the way things are already done). There was difficulty in coming up with creative ways to address the topic, and to a large extent, I believe that I did not manage to achieve that. On another note, I thought that Shao Jiet's recommendations were really creative. To be honest, I wished that I had those recommendations :P.

Similar to the GT, I was a ball of nerves for the FOP presentation. I had to replay 'power conversations' in my head before presenting, and I was shaking while presenting. FOP had turned out better than I had expected, and the best part is knowing that I had surpassed the one person that I had aimed to beat: Jia Hui in GT1.
 
Public speaking is such a dynamic skill. Every speaker is like a unique signature, with different characteristics that makes him/her endearing. Here's a really apt comic!


















To my classmates, I hope you guys feel good about beating your-GT-selves. You were impressive :).
All the best for FIPD! And all the best to beating your-FOP-selves!

3 comments:

  1. Hello JH!! Couldn't tell at all that you were shaking your power conversations are really powerrrrrr! Good luck for FIPD if it isn't over already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this honest reflection. It shows that no matter how well a person presents, they can go into that experience just as nervous as (if not more so than) the rest of us. You did a great job, but even you can improve, as your nod to Shao Jiet shows.

    The cartoon is certainly appropriate. Education as it is often practiced is so often unfair because the standard aim is to fit everyone into the same sized mold. In the world of presentations, each of you has brought to the class different experiences, talents and skills. It would be so good if work on improving such skills could be done in a manner that didn't require constant assessment (feedback, yes, but assessment?)....

    A well known secret: The examiner above represents everything this teacher (moi!) has come to disdain about education. Folks like you and everyone else in our class could do just as well without the breakneck race to judge you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jia Hui,
    Your presentation was excellent.

    I like the "beating your-GT-selves" sentence. I believed that all of us had beat our GT-selves:)

    ReplyDelete